It's January. The pennies are short and the days are cold. Despite that, we are all trying to better ourselves and be healthier in the new year.
This recipe ticks all the boxes and it's really quick and easy too. It will stretch even further if served with rice.
Serves: 4 (6 with rice)
Time: 45 mins
50ml Olive Oil
2 Red Onions
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 Red Pepper
1 Red Chilli
1 Teaspoon of Paprika
1 Teaspoon of Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon of Ground Cumin
2 Teaspoons of Salt
3 Tins of 400g of Chopped Tomatoes
1 Tin of 400g Kidney Beans
1 Tin of 400g Cannellini Beans
Natural Yoghurt (for garnish)
Fresh Coriander, finely chopped (for garnish)
Large Pot with Lid
1. Peel the onions and cut them into slices.
2. Peel the garlic and finely chop it.
3. Remove the stem and seeds from the red pepper and dice it.
4. Finely chop the chilli.
5. In a large pot, on a medium heat, fry the onions in the oil for 4 minutes with the cover on the pot, stirring regularly. Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
6. Add the chilli and the red peppers and fry for another minute.
7. Remove the beans from their tins and rinse under a tap in a colander to remove any residue. Add them to the pot along with the spices and salt.
8. Add the chopped tomatoes. Half fill one tin with water and add this to the pot also.
9. Bring to the boil and leave on a medium heat for 30 mins, stirring from time to time. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt (leave out for vegan obviously) and a sprinkle of chopped coriander.